• Wear and use personal fall-arrest equipment when working in elevated locations
• Install and maintain perimeter protection
• Use ladders and scaffolds safely
• Never position yourself between a moving object and a fixed one
• Always wear high-visibility clothes near equipment and vehicles
• Never enter an unprotected trench or excavation five feet deep or deeper without an adequate protective system in place. (Some trenches under five feet deep may also need such a system.)
• Make sure the trench or excavation is protected either by sloping, shoring, benching, or trench shield systems
• Locate and identify utilities before starting work.
• Look for overhead power lines when operating any equipment.
• Maintain a safe distance from power lines; learn the safe distance requirements.
• Do not operate portable electric tools unless they are grounded or double insulated.
• Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) for protection.
• Be alert to electrical hazards when working with ladders, scaffolds, or other platforms.